Artist on a Budget: Simbalion 36 Watercolor Cake Swatch + Review

This is pretty much an old photo I'm sure you can judge from the quality


Since I'm only starting a blog now, I'd still like to include some of the note-worthy stuff I got from back then. My sister and I attended ArtFest 2016 at SM Southmall since we love art and the establishment was only a few minutes away. Basically, how it works is you purchase from a brand of your choice and if your purchases reach a certain amount, you get to participate in the brand's respective workshop.


My sister and I bought watercolors from Simbalion Philippines so we could participate in Ella Lama's Watercolor Lettering Workshop where I pretty much won these awesome freebies from her.

Thanks for choosing my work!


Pictured is a low quality photo I took from my previous phone of the freebies and the work of my sister Angelika and mine -Dare to Wonder.

Moving on to the review and swatching, here are the colors in order. I used my Mont Marte Watercolor Flat brush. I tried my best to give justice to the colors by doing my best to control the water my brush is taking up but it still varies.



As you can see, the colors are very vibrant. It's not hard to apply at all and the many variations will make color combinations more fun. You can also use the lid as a mixing tray since it's broad in surface.



Upon application, you can see it chalk up a little bit but it doesn't really pose a threat to your work.

I sometimes see some beginners starting out with a Winsor and Newton and other more high end brands but this shouldn't dishearten you if you cannot afford it. If like me, you're a beginner and pretty much a frugal artist, Simbalion Watercolor Cake is a good product to start with if you're looking to test the waters.

What's important is that you have the patience to learn and improve.

Start working with a pencil and referencing still life subjects. There are lots you can do with budget-friendly art materials. For one, you can do this chocolate-covered strawberry entirely with this product. A dedicated artist can make something cheap look expensive! :)

You can find it at several books stores including national bookstore for around 225 PHP.

*Prices subject to change

Hope this review helps!






2 comments

  1. Hello! Saw your intro post at the #Braver2018 Facebook group! I started out with Simbalion myself last 2016. :D I have recently moved to W&N and Holbein, partly because I needed more lightfastness, and also partly because I just love hoarding paints! However, I would still find myself reaching for my Simbalion palette from time to time. Lovely review! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaye! Thank you for reading my intro and review! :) I love hoarding paints too and higher end paints are still definitely good investments especially when you think painting really is for you! I'll have more watercolor reviews up soon. Hope to talk to you again!

      Delete